Saturday, June 19, 2010

Friday June 18, 2010

After working all this week on our excel workbook, I think it is in a presentable form. Today, we wrote a first draft of a procedure plan to take to the pilot parks this summer. I am feeling like we are really getting something real done, and we will soon be ready to take this to the parks.

This week I have gone through a tremendous change of heart as well. At the beginning of the week, I was very frustrated about the project that was handed to us, but now, I am really excited. Through out this week I felt like I was lost, did not know what to do, I knew the math, but I did not know the expectation of our supervisor, etc. Then I finally realized this is truly what the "real world" is like. You are handed a project and expected to complete it. No one is standing over your shoulder telling you this is step one, step two, etc. You just complete it.

As a teacher, I will definitely take this idea back to the classroom. As teachers, we cannot just tell students the answers. We cannot just give them the steps needed to complete whatever project we give to them. We, as teachers, need to hand off the work to our students and just let them figure things out on their own. For my externship, this project is MINE! In a classroom, the learning is THE STUDENTS! As teachers, we need to hand off the reigns, so to speak, and let the students do the work and the math will be come theirs.

No comments:

Post a Comment